Saturday, December 26, 2009

Putting highlights in my hair with an ';at home'; kit?

I recently dyed my hair dark, and now I want to use one of those frost and glow dye kits and put highlights in. Will I end up frying my hair trying to bleach through the other color? Will it turn green?Putting highlights in my hair with an ';at home'; kit?
Get a kit that is especially for darker dyed hair. You may only be able to lighten it a few shades, which is actually ideal since lightening it too much can cause damage. You won't want to go with bleach blonde highlights, that's for sure. Go with a dark blonde or light brown if you're hair is really dark. If you want a more natural look, go with darker highlights. I think Loreal or Clairol makes the kit you want, but I'm not entirely sure. It comes in an orange and white cubed box (not rectangular like most hair dye boxes). Most department stores have it though. Make sure you don't choose a color of highlights for hair lighter than you currently have (most boxes will tell you the color range their highlights are for) or your highlights will turn out brassy. Look for your hair color in the ';before'; boxes on the back.=) Hope that helps!Putting highlights in my hair with an ';at home'; kit?
The commercials certainly make these products appear easy to apply and receive positive results. However, in my profession I have seen so many of these experiments go horribly bad. My advice... be very meticulous with your application. It should not turn green, but lifting through color will typically yield warm results - just so you are aware. Meaning reds, oranges, gold and yellow - depending on how much lift you give it. Bleach can fry your hair. A rule of thumb when working with bleach - rinse it out as soon as you have acheived the level of lightening you desire. The longer it has time to process the more damage it can do.
Go see a professional. That's a lot of chemicals and potential damage to your hair.
probably

No comments:

Post a Comment